Rifts Bomber Blaster WIP
Return to Savage Rifts
Work In Progress
Converted from The Rifter #19, with a name change for clarity
The Bomber (also known as the "Blaster") is the rarest "eruptor" (elemental psi). They possess the ability to telekinetically create detonations, like psychic grenades. Bombers cannot force objects or people to explode, but can create explosions right next to them, varying in diameter from inches (for targeting specific body parts with a shaped charge) to yards (for taking out massed enemies). Unlike most eruptors, they cannot enhance their melee attacks and thus tend to fight from a distance. As a side effect of their powers, they ignore sonic attacks and have an innate understanding of mundane demolitions and EOD.
Build this as a Burster (TLPG, p. 18) with the following changes:
- Burster Variant: Remove Everything Burns. Replace Firewalker with immunity to sonics and being deafened. Remove all damaging effects from Fiery Aura; it now just provides armor. Apply a telekinetic/bomb Trapping to Fire Mastery, Flame Bolt, and all Burster iconic Edges. Change Quirk to thrill-seeking. Everything else is unchanged.
- Sheer Power: Add the Expert Blaster and Bomb Blast (Flame Blast) Edges.
- Shockwave: As an action and requiring no roll, the Bomber can use havoc with the Greater Havoc and Strong modifiers. For 1 ISP this is either a MBT centered on the Bomber or a Cone with no range; for 2 ISP, this is an LBT centered on the Bomber. (The Bomber is immune; their allies are not.) Targets are Distracted and must roll Strength at -2 or be hurled 3d6" away, taking 2d6 damage if they strike hard objects. Optionally, the Bomber may choose to roll Psionics, which risks failure, but imposes an extra -2 to the Strength roll with a raise.
- The Explosives Whisperer: Add the Demolitionist and Expert Demolitionist Edges (EOH, p. 35).
As Burster, but loses these:
- Everything Burns: 2 pts
- Fiery Aura except for the armor: 7 pts
- Firewalker: 12 pts
- TOTAL 21 pts
And gains these:
- Immunity to Sonics/Deafness: 5 pts (sonics are so rare, this isn't much more than "can be near a Boom Gun")
- Expert Blaster edge: 5 pts
- Flame Blast edge: 3 pts
- Greater Havoc: 4 pts (priced similar to the bolt upgrade)
- Demolitionist edge: 2 pts
- Expert Demolitionist edge: 3 pts
- TOTAL 22 pts
Tribe of One's Breakdowns (for reference)
BURSTER HJ roll x2: 4 pts AB: Psionics, Major Psionics: 4 pts Blaster Edge: 4 pts (Note: This was left out of the forum post) Improved power access (vs. basic Psionics list): 3 pts* Psionics d6: 2 pts Everything Burns: 2 pts* Fiery Aura: 10 pts (3 for Level 1 damage field, 4 for stackable +1d6 melee, 3 for armor) Fire Mastery: 3 pts (similar to Storm) Firewalker: 12 pts (10 for fire immunity, 1 for elec resist, 1 for laser/ion resist) Fire Bolt: 4 pts (since it costs ISP, it's basically half the benefit of the Extra Powers edge to get Bolt, with a bonus 1d6 damage) Enemy (Major)x2: -4 pts Quirk: -1 pt Iconic Edge Access: 2* (only a couple are more powerful than standard edges, and most cost ISP) TOTAL: 45 pts (updated to include Blaster edge) ZAPPER HJ roll x2: 4 pts Absorb Electricity: 6 pts* Arc of Life: 4 pts* AB: Psionics: 2 pts Improved power access (vs. basic Psionics list): 3 pts* Psionics d6: 2 pts Electrical Aura: 10 pts (3 for Level 1 damage field, 4 for stackable +1d6 melee, 3 for armor) Electrical Immunity: 12 pts (10 for electrical immunity, 1 for fire/plasma resist, 1 for laser/p. beam resist) Electrical Mastery: 3 pts (similar to Storm) Lightning Bolt: 4 pts (since it costs ISP, it's basically half the benefit of the Extra Powers edge to get Bolt, with a bonus 1d6 damage) Cybernetics: -1 (since none at all/no Cyber-Psychic Alignment) Enemy (Major)x2: -4 pts Glitchy: -2 pts (Roughly twice as bad as All Thumbs) Iconic Edge Access: 2* (only a couple are more powerful than standard edges, and most cost ISP) TOTAL: 45 pts (note: To1 got the math here wrong in his forum post)