GCA Datafile Instructions
First off, if you haven't already, go to this
page and install the latest patch and the latest update. This isn't a
strict requirement to use these files, but it is a good idea. Then come
- Right-click on the [ DOWNLOAD FILE
link for the data file you want, and choose "Save As...".
- Save it to the same directory as your other data files (usually
C:\Program Files\GURPS Character Assistant 4\data files). When you do
so, make sure that the File Type drop-down box at the bottom says "All Files",
not "Text Files", otherwise you'll need to take the next step.
- If you're not sure what you're doing, go back and make sure Windows
didn't add an extension. If Windows thinks that you're saving this as a text
file, it will change the name to something like "pk-houserules.gdf.txt". Why?
Because Windows is annoying like that. If it did, change it back.
- In GCA, open the Options box (it's the button all the way on the right,
or you can find it in the Tools menu) and select the Data Set tab.
- Click on Browse, then click on the new data file and Add it. Make sure
it's below the official data files on the list.
- If you want it to load every time, click on the Save Data Set button and
save it as "default.gds".
- Either click on Load Now or restart GCA, and it should work fine.